Be sure to read through the CONVENTION FAQ page to get answers to the most commonly asked questions about our conference.
Daily schedule Friday and Saturday:
9:00 - 10:30 am
10 am - 7 pm
|Exhibit Hall Open
11 am - Noon
Noon - 1:30 pm
1:30 - 2:30 pm
3:00 - 4:00 pm
4:30 - 5:30 pm
CONVENTION - GENERAL QUESTIONS
CONVENTION - EXHIBITORS
CONVENTION - YOUNG ENTREPENEURS
CONVENTION - VOLUNTEERS
CONVENTION PROGRAM ADVERTISING
American Home Education and Discipleship
AFHE is affiliated with a group of over 40 Christian Homeschool Conferences in North America!
Speaking at the AFHE Convention is by invitation only. Speakers at the AFHE Convention are carefully selected who fit AFHE's philosophy, vision, and mission, and do not conflict with the AFHE Board of Directors' biblical worldview.
As part of the speaker selection process, we will review speaker packets that are sent to us. Speaker packets are reviewed in August for the following year's convention and selections are finalized in the fall.
Speaker packets should include biographical information, workshop titles and descriptions, and a recording or two of the speaker teaching for our review. If we are interested in having you speak, we would contact you in October or November.
Attn: Speaker Coordinator
P.O. Box 2035
Chandler, AZ 85244-2035
31st Annual Arizona
Friday, July 11 and Saturday, July 12, 2014
Phoenix Convention Center, South Building
33 S. 3rd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004
See map at the bottom of this page.
Early Discount Registration Deadline: June 10
AFHE members have the opportunity to pre-register for the convention at a discounted admission rate. Current AFHE membership is required to participate in the early registration discount.
From the Director
There is something really powerful about gathering together as a community, isn't there? When thousands of like-minded people who share a similar vision and passion come together in person, the atmosphere is charged with excitement and expectation.
Pre-Convention Events Thursday, July 10
TWO PRE-CONVENTION EVENTS THURSDAY, JULY 10
FREE Considering Homeschooling Mini-Conference
Writing to Publish Seminar with Carol Barnier (ticketed event)
Discount rates are available at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, just a short two-block walk from the Convention Center South Building. To receive the group rate, make your reservation online or mention Arizona Families for Home Education when making your reservation by phone. Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking is available for an additional charge. Reservations must be made no later than Friday, May 31, 2014. Rooms are limited. Parking is not included and costs $19 per 24-hour period for overnight self-parking with in-out privileges. Valey parking is $28. Check-in time is 3:00 PM. Check-out time is 12:00 PM.
HYATT REGENCY PHOENIX
2014 GROUP RATES
$92 single/double occupancy
122 N. 2nd Street, Phoenix
$117 triple occupancy
$142 quadruple occupancy
Your name badge is your admission to all areas of the convention. Name badges will be mailed to those who register by June 10. Be sure to bring your name badge with you and wear it at all times while at the convention.
Name badges may not be shared or transferred to someone else. First and last names are required on all name badges. Those who register at the door will be issued a name badge at registration.
Food / Dining Options
Food is available for purchase from on-site concessions during convention hours for your convenience. In addition, numerous fast food locations and restaurants are within walking distance. A map can be picked up at the Phoenix Convention Center information desk just inside the South Building main lobby entrance.
PCC’S FOOD POLICY: The Phoenix Convention Center is allows us to bring in outside food. The policy is that you may only bring in an individual meal per person. So, if you purchase food at a nearby fast food restaurant or you bring in your own sack lunch, you must have one sack/package/beverage per person. PCC will not allow families to bring in lunch orders for multiple people in one sack/package. Please, no family picnic baskets, ice chests, large pizzas, etc.
Parking is plentiful near the Phoenix Convention Center. Parking will cost approximately $10-$15 per day.
OVERSIZED VEHICLE PARKING
Oversized vehicles can be parked in several places:
1) City Garage on 5th street and Washington is very large and almost always has oversize spaces available.
2) Collier Center on Washington and 3rd street. They have just over 8’ clearance.
3) Jefferson Street garage if you enter on 4th street just north of Jefferson Street. They permit overnight parking, but they have fewer spaces available.
4.) You can stay at any open lot like the one on 2nd street and Washington, directly across from Chase Field.
Those who pre-register for the convention by June 10 will receive a discount parking flier allowing you to park at the Jefferson Street Garage for just $5. (No in and out privileges.)
Downtown Phoenix Website
Visit www.downtownphoenix.com for an interactive map with parking, restaurants, and road construction updates.
- INSPIRATION, ENCOURAGEMENT, IDEAS, AND MORE!
- WORKSHOPS ... A variety of excellent SPEAKERS & WORKSHOPS for veteran homeschoolers and parents new to homeschooling alike.
- EXHIBIT HALL ... Come browse and shop the vast array of curricula and resource vendors in 80,000 square feet of exhibit hall space. See details on the EXHIBITORS page.
- EXHIBITOR WORKSHOPS ... Workshops taught by exhibitors sharing information about their products or services. See EXHIBITORS page for workshop schedule and descriptions. (Exhibitor workshop info available in June.)
- MENTORING MOMS BOOTH ... Experienced homeschooling moms available to answer question throughout the weekend. Located inside the exhibit hall entrance on the left.
- COMMUNITY ... See old friends and make new ones. With over 5,000 people in attendance, you will definitely get a sense that you are not alone in this journey of home education!
- GOODY BAG ... Each family will receive a goody bag filled with brochures, catalogs, and pamphlets from a wide variety of companies and services. (One per family while supplies last.)
- HANDOUTS AVAILABLE ONLINE ... Download handouts for the workshops you plan to attend from the AFHE website after July 1 on the SPEAKERS page.
- YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS ... Homeschooled students and graduates ages 12-23 share their talents and creations in the exhibit hall. See YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS page for details.
- FREE PRE-CONVENTION "CONSIDERING HOMESCHOOLING" MINI-CONFERENCE ... Those new to homeschooling are invited to this free mini-conference Thursday afternoon. See details on MINI-CONFERENCE page. Free of charge and no advance registration required.
- TEEN PROGRAM ... Youth age 12-18 are invited to participate in a special two-day teen program. Limit: 450 registered teens. TEEN PROGRAM
- FIRST-TIME ATTENDEE DISCOUNT ADMISSION ... As a means to reach those who have never before registered for the AFHE convention, we are once again offering a first-time attendee discount admission for the first 500 who complete an online form to request a coupon code. See details on FIRST-TIME ATTENDEES page.
- SILENT AUCTION ... New in 2014! Participate in the silent auction and support two great organizations that serve Arizona homeschoolers all year long! SILENT AUCTION
- BONUS EVENT: WRITING TO PUBLISH SEMINAR ... This three-hour pre-convention ticketed seminar taught by Carol Barnier is for adults and teen writers age 13 and older who would like to learn how to be published in the Christian market. Open to the public.
WRITING TO PUBLISH
- ART CONTEST FINALISTS ARTWORK DISPLAY ... In honor of the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner, AFHE is hosting an art contest for Arizona homeschooled students and graduates ages 10-22. Finalists and winners' artwork will be displayed at the 2014 AFHE Convention. ART CONTEST