Arizona Families for Home Education (AFHE) is the statewide organization that has been serving the needs and protecting the rights of Arizona’s homeschooling families since 1983. AFHE is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational, religious, and charitable corporation run by a Christian board of directors. AFHE membership is available to all homeschooling parents in Arizona.
AFHE exists to inspire parents to home educate their children; promote parent-led, privately funded, relationship-based home education; and preserve the freedom to homeschool.
Here are a few ways that we accomplish our mission of inspiring, promoting, and preserving as we serve the Arizona homeschool community.
- Host the Annual Arizona Home Education Convention
- Publish a quarterly magazine: Homeschool Arizona
- Provide support for Arizona homeschool group leaders through an annual Leadership Conference (or webinar)
- Host a senior high graduate recognition ceremony
- Award scholarships for post-secondary education to homeschool graduates
- Encourage participation in local homeschool support groups
- Host periodic regional or online workshops
- Maintain an up-to-date website
- Communicate with the homeschool community through email, legislative updates, and social media
- Participate in local and regional activities to share information about homeschooling when possible
- Educate the public on the laws and merits of parent-directed, privately funded home education
- Monitor and guide state and national legislation affecting homeschooling
- Defend the right to homeschool
- Maintain the least restrictive laws and policies for homeschooling in Arizona
- We operate from a Christian perspective and make decisions from the ethical and moral standards established in the Bible.
- We believe that parents are responsible for the education of their children.
- We believe that parents have the God-given right to educate their children at home.
- We believe that all education has an implicit worldview.
- We believe that government funding of education will inevitably lead to oversight and control.
- We believe families should remain informed about homeschool laws at both the state and federal levels.
AFHE IS NOT …
- A substitute for a homeschool support group
- A correspondence school or curriculum provider
- A substitute for membership with HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)
MEET THE AFHE BOARD
Shawn and Cindy Duell
Scholarship Committee (Shawn)
Peter and Allison Gentala
Legislative and Government Affairs
Scott and Sherry McKown
Joshua and Stacey Sugata
Vice President (Josh)
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible is the inspired and only infallible authoritative Word of God.
- We believe God existed from all eternity in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe all men have sinned, both by nature and by act, and it is only Jesus Christ who is able and has paid the penalty for man’s sin through His substitutionary death on the cross. He then triumphed over death by His visible, bodily resurrection.
- We believe salvation is offered as a free gift to the sinner. This gift must be accepted by faith, not trusting in any personal work but in the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ alone.
You're part of an amazing community of Arizona homeschool families!