Arizona Families for Home Education (AFHE) is the statewide organization that has been serving the needs and protecting the rights of Arizona’s homeschooling families since 1983. AFHE is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational, religious, and charitable corporation run by a Christian board of directors. AFHE membership is available to all homeschooling parents in Arizona.
AFHE exists to inspire parents to home educate their children; promote parent-directed home-based education; preserve the freedom to homeschool; and support parents who choose a home-based education option for their children.
Here are a few ways that we accomplish our mission of inspiring, promoting, and preserving as we serve the Arizona homeschool community.
- Host the Annual Arizona Home Education Convention
- Provide support for Arizona homeschool group leaders through an annual Leadership Conference (or webinar)
- Host a senior high graduate recognition ceremony
- Award scholarships for post-secondary education to homeschool graduates
- Encourage participation in local homeschool support groups
- Host periodic regional or online workshops
- Maintain an up-to-date website
- Communicate with the homeschool community through email, legislative updates, and social media
- Participate in local and regional activities to share information about homeschooling when possible
- Educate the public on the laws and merits of parent-directed, privately funded home education
- Monitor and guide state and national legislation affecting homeschooling
- Defend the right to homeschool
- Maintain the least restrictive laws and policies for homeschooling in Arizona
- Maintain a robust website with information and resources useful to families who are pursuing home-based education
- Host moderated social media groups allowing homeschool parents to connect
- Maintain a mobile app for on-the-go access to AFHE articles, courses, notifications, and events
- Curate member benefits that serve a wide range of needs and enrichment for homeschool families
- We operate from a Christian perspective and make decisions from the ethical and moral standards established in the Bible.
- We believe that parents are responsible for the education of their children.
- We believe that parents have the God-given right to educate their children at home.
- We believe that all education has an implicit worldview.
- We believe that government funding of education will inevitably lead to oversight and control.
- We believe families should remain informed about homeschool laws at both the state and federal levels.
AFHE IS NOT …
- A substitute for a homeschool support group
- A correspondence school or curriculum provider
- A substitute for membership with HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)
MEET THE AFHE BOARD
Michael and Kristina Abbott
Board Treasurer (Michael)
Shawn and Cindy Duell
Board Secretary and Convention Director (Cindy)
Director of Scholarship Program (Shawn)
David and Christina Garretson
Peter and Allison Gentala
Board President & Director of Government Affairs (Peter)
Director of Special Needs and Government Affairs (Allison)
Joshua and Stacey Sugata
Board Vice President (Josh)
Director of Support Group Partnerships (Stacey)
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible is the inspired and only infallible authoritative Word of God.
- We believe God existed from all eternity in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe all men have sinned, both by nature and by act, and it is only Jesus Christ who is able and has paid the penalty for man’s sin through His substitutionary death on the cross. He then triumphed over death by His visible, bodily resurrection.
- We believe salvation is offered as a free gift to the sinner. This gift must be accepted by faith, not trusting in any personal work but in the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ alone.
You're part of an amazing community of Arizona homeschool families!